Thursday 18 October 2012

Competitor Profile: Sam Dalupang

2nd Place Welterweight Men's, MABBA Novice 2011

1. How did you get into bodybuilding and weight training for the first time?

In Grade 8, I walked into an empty weight room, picked up some equipment out of curiosity and surprised myself that I could lift it. no fancy story here. I just loved the feeling. there was no streaming videos off the internet to boost your motivation or ego back then. I didn't know 'Pumping Iron' or Ronnie Coleman existed till my college days.

2. What were people's reactions when you started to change physically? Did people act differently towards you?

"People" is too generalized.  
                                       
There are 2 categories:
People I care about and who see me on a regular basis and know my discipline are not surprised with the changes I made.

Everyone else, whether in a positive or negative way, I could care less about their actions towards me because it doesnt effect my goals. i train for me, no compromise. If people are inspired by me, great. That's a bonus. and those ones will likely turn into the people I care about.

2. How did it affect your school/work balance at the time? How about now?

Trained hard, then used school and work time as sleep time. Worked out perfect because I graduated as a top student and with honours in every high school and post secondary school year.

Now, bodybuilding is all I care about. Everything else is secondary, but because of my mind set, balancing my priorities is easy. If my workplace will not respect that, I will quit. You have to realize that you are nobody's bitch. It's all about respect. If your job doesn't respect your goals, then you don't have to respect theirs. Get a job where if you scratch their back, they'll scratch yours. If you have this mind set, you'll perform well at work because you'll be doing your job out of respect not necessarily just for the money, and won't be forced to work overtime.

3. You have your own physique consultation business--how did it get started?

It was never intended as a business venture. People came to me, I never had to approach anyone. Till this day, I don't advertise because I don't need to. I have a full roster with a waiting list and none of my guys want to leave.
4. How did everything you learned at RRC in Business help you in your consultation business? What lessons stuck with you and influence you the most today in practice?

Choose your target market and don't compromise. Satisfy them 100% and you won't need to waste time and money on advertising for new clientele. If you try to target everybody, you will please nobody. You choose your clients, dont let them choose you. There are plenty of clients and plenty of trainers out there with different expertise. No need to be greedy and take on any client that inquires. If you take on a client that isn't compatible, they are just going to make things worse for you because they are going to quit and say it is your fault, and that just ruins your reputation. For all my inquiries, I tell them what I expect, and if I see we aren't compatible, I tell them straight up, get a different trainer first and come see me when you think you are ready. I only have so much time in a day and I'd rather invest it on the best.
5. When setting up a diet/training regime, what are the basic things you start with? Do you focus on what they were doing before (presuming they're not totally new) and adjust from there, or do you find that a very sudden "shock the body" approach with sudden drops/increases in calories, volume, etc. works better more often than not?a) I refuse to work with newbs. I have nothing against them, it's just not my market. There are more appropriate trainers for that.
b) I do not make diet programs. diets are short term. I will not take on a client that looks like they are expecting a short term fix to be an everlasting solution. and if I do take one on by accident, I will drop them from my team. I am very blunt in my consultations, so all inquiries know exactly what I expect.

The basic thing I start with is asking "what are your goals?". Tip for anyone looking for help with anything health and fitness related: if the first thing the person you ask doesn't say, "what are your goals?", dont listen to them. Not everyone wants to get ripped, not everyone wants to get huge. How the heck can someone tell you what you need to do, if they don't know what you want to do.

From there, programs are developed depending on a particular clients strengths and weaknesses and are reassessed and changed if needed every few weeks. I cannot make a generalization for you. what makes me different from other trainers is I teach my clients the hows and whys to every little detail. I teach them how to fish, I dont feed them. You are more likely to do something properly if you understand it and appreciate it, if you get what I mean.
5. What are your thoughts on:

a) Cardio pre-contest?


Sure, if you need it. It all depends on how your off season went. I tell all my guys during the off season, the more disciplined you are now, the easier it'll be pre-contest.



b) Carbs (keep them as high as possible, or err on the side of caution)?

Carbs are a touchy subject. Its not just about how many. It's also about the timing and the type. Depends on the body type as well. I won't make a generalization. That's what magazines are for.
c) Carb depletion/loading, sodium manipulation, and other pre-show tricks? Do they really work?
Same thing. I won't make a generalization. Sure they work if done correctly. But if your body fat is low enough, you shouldn't have to play with your sodium levels. But let's not kid ourselves here and be realistic, most athletes use prescription diuretics to get dry. Lets not insult anyones intelligence.
6. What's the weirdest thing you've seen:

a) In the gym?

I'd rather not answer this in an interview. I don't encourage wandering eyes. Who gives a shit about what is happening around you. As a bodybuilder, you shouldn't allow yourself to be distracted by anything. Cap down. Earbuds in.
b) Backstage at a show?

Not weird, just funny... shortage of rice cakes. At the novice level, guys often under estimate how many carbs they need and end up scavenging and mooching for rice cakes once they have run out. Always bring a few extra bags than you need. If you have left overs, someone is bound to buy them off you...ha ha.


Photos credited to Duane Riz.

No comments:

Post a Comment