Friday 5 October 2012

Competitor Profile: Jon Chong


MABBA Novice 2009: Bantamweight Men: 1st Place and Junior Men: 2nd Place
MABBA Provincials 2010: Bantamweight and Junior Men: 2nd Place
MABBA Provincials 2012: Lightweight Men: 1st Place

1. What got you into bodybuilding? What motivates you to keep competing?

I grew up a fat kid. For most of my elementary and junior high life I was: awkward, timid, made fun of, and immensely unpopular. When I was 13 in my final year of grade 8, I decided I wanted to do something about it. I got my mom to buy me my first set up dumbbells, I started jogging in the mornings and when I reached high school, during the mandatory “weight training” unit, I discovered the gym.

What keeps me going is the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment I get after completing my training prep and stepping on stage for all to see. As well, pushing myself to my absolute physical and mental limits is immensely gratifying because each time I do it, I surprise myself at how much I have redefined those limits since the first time I picked up a dumbbell.

2. Of all the gyms you’ve trained at, which one stuck in your mind as the best? Why?

The YMCA on Kimberly Ave here in Winnipeg sticks out the most in my head. It’s where I really began my fitness and bodybuilding career and was my home away from home all throughout high school as I was learning the ways of a bodybuilder. Everytime I go back and see some of the regulars that I used to workout with or staff that are still there, I am hit with a sense of nostalgia and think to myself, “yeah, this is where it all started.”

3. What do you think of where the sport is going, versus where it used to be?
I’ve always been more of a fan of the “Classic” more asthetic bodybuilding physique, with the small waist, prominante V-taper, clean lines, symmetry, well conditioned and balance. Though, the sheer size and conditioning of the athletes nowadays is very impressive, there’s only so much a human skeleton can take, in terms of muscle mass, before the physique becomes cartoonish and unappealing.
I do like where the sport is going as of 2010 and 2011, where the judges are starting to reward athletes with more conditioned, aesthetic, and well balanced physiques. On top of the insane amount of mass that today’s pros seem to be able to come up with.

4. What do you think of the Men’s Physique division? Do you think it is doing good for the sport?
I think it’s a good place for athletes that want to compete in physique sport, but lack the ability to put on the necessary mass to compete in bodybuilding. That it’s allowing more people to compete in physique sport is great, but I do think more defined criteria need to be put in place for the category. It seems that many judges are still at odds as to what a ‘physique’ competitor should encompass.

5. What sort of tips would you give to someone who is competing for the first time?
Write everything down! And pay attention to detail. Keeping adequate records of how you’re feeling, how your training and diet are going are great tools to ensure that nothing catches you by surprise. As well as, provides you with a foundation to go back, evaluate and make improvements on. As well, planning every single detail leading up to to a show is important. You can easily be overwhelmed by the amount of “little” things you need come competition day: registration, weigh-ins, athlete meetings, tanning, hair removal, make up, pump up foods, diet foods, supplements, getting time off from work, buying your suit, buying appropriate footwear… the list is endless. So, be sure to talk to experienced athletes or try and think as far ahead until show time as possible to ensure you don’t get caught off guard.
6. What is your favourite and least favourite thing about this sport?

Showing off the hard work I put into myself, day in and day out, in front of a screaming crowd of people that appreciate the time, effort and dedication it takes to make it all happen. As well as inspiring new competitors to compete and try physique sport.

Least favorite: tanning, shaving, and the incredible amount of ego and cattiness that happens backstage.

7. How have family, friends, etc. reacted to your changes? Have they/how have they been supportive?
Many still don’t understand or really “get” what it is I do. The only other person that could do that is another competitor. But for the most part, all have been supportive of my affiliation with bodybuilding and physique sport.

8. What is the hardest part of balancing life and bodybuilding? Where do you draw the line for where life comes first?
Time management. Balancing everything that life has to offer as well as bodybuilding is hard, because bodybuilding takes so much attention to detail. Eating is a structured regiment at specific times of the day, with specific foods, and preparations. Training becomes a regiment of specific exercise designed to increase: definition, muscle size, endurance, shape, hide weak points and lose fat. It’s easy to lose track of everything else.

When my relationships with peers, friends and family get strained, and my grades at school take a huge drop, then it’s time to re-evaluate things.

9. What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen in the gym?

A condom from the night before…












Photos credited to Duane Riz

No comments:

Post a Comment