Tuesday 15 January 2013

No Bullshit Bodybuilding: Why Ian McCarthy Is Relevant

Today, in place of my normal training article, I'm going to take the time to discuss a popular Youtuber named Ian McCarthy, under the Facebook and Youtube name of No Bullshit Bodybuilding. I really don't have a lot to say about his world view, other than that it is a breath of fresh air.

I often hear a lot of stuff that goes around about this kid, and truth be told I quite like him. I think his information is great, and even if his actual credentials are not anything to write home about, there is definitely something to his information, as he is a very well read person.

What I'm interested in, though, is the recent debate between him and Dave Pulcinella of the Raising the Bar DVD series--the debate video was directed by Dave's brother Mike Pulcinella, the director of said video series (you can view the debate at both Ian and Mike's page). To say that I and others haven't been looking forward to this for a long time would be a gross understatement--this is the ultimate battle between "bro-science" and "real science"! However, for those who watch the debate, I think that you'll find there is much less disagreement than expected.

https://www.facebook.com/nobullshitbodybuildingverified



Why, pray tell, them, am I bringing this up? The fact is that Ian is a divisive figure and also, influential--one who's effect deserves to be seen on a population here Manitoba where there is a far more tightly knit bodybuilding community. I'm often surprised at how few random people involved in bodybuilding know who he is (though I may just be asking the wrong people)--which really says a lot about people who consume bodybuilding media. Oftentimes, it isn't necessarily the people who are most involved in the sport that watch them--they are usually (not always though) stuck in their ways and aren't always looking for new perspectives on things. It's the "noobs" who really need a lot of this information, so they are more perceptive of it.


As far as my thoughts on him, while I think he is an intelligent young man who deserves our attention, there are admittedly times when he seems a little on over his head, and could perhaps be brought down to earth. I feel in the above debate Dave and Ian kind of do that to each other. However, I truly think people like Ian are needed in society--or any subculture really. Sometimes you need a sacrificial lamb to bring to the alter and take the jeers and the booing, in favour of getting the word out on the truth.

It doesn't have to be that way--but generally speaking, it is that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment