Wednesday 2 January 2013

Bulking Made Easy: Caloric Density and Macronutrient Distribution

While many other bodybuilders in this province might be into the heart of their cuts for the upcoming MABBA Novice Championships, I am in a heavy bulk. Despite the fact that I am doing no cardio right now, I am still only gaining weight gradually. I do, however, have a very small appetite and when my metabolism is used to a lot of food, this can be a problem.

Hence, caloric density is helpful. For people who have trouble eating larger amounts of food (and who can't afford to decrease activity because of their job or lifestyle), here are some of my favourite options:

Pasta

Specifically, white pasta. While I am by no means advocating a low fiber diet, if you're still getting enough, you may find that pasta is a little less filling than others. This makes for a great, calorie dense, carb dense food.

Related to this, try Orzo pasta. When cooked, it looks a little like rice. Orzo is a type of pasta that is very calorically dense. One cooked cup can have as many as 120 grams of carbs, and a small amount of protein and fat.

Granola Bars

Typically a little higher in fat and sugar, however they've got a little fibre in them as well. Though they are "satisfying" they can still go down fairly easily. Personally, I quite like the Nature Valley ones, especially chocolate and roasted almond flavours.



Fruit Juice and Dried Fruit

Less density and food volume, these are great to either down in 30 seconds (not to mention tasty and refreshing) or just shove in your mouth before you go out the door for work or school.

You'll notice I have made no mention of fats or protein here. While fatty cuts of meat, peanut butter, or salads with oil and vinegar are very valuable ways to get extra calories, I have found that significant amounts of protein and fat (more than .6 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight, or 1.5 grams of protein per pound), just tended to dull my appetite. I am by no means advocating a low protein or low fat diet, however I have found that once I reach a minimum requirement for protein and dietary fat, that it's beneficial to get about 80% of those extra calories from carbs, as well as some trace fats and protein.

I am not familiar with longterm studies on this, however this is only my own personal experience so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Some people find higher volume, higher carb diets preferable when dieting, and this is understandable. Other people need a lot more fats in their diet to stay satisfied. However, at the end of the day, this is all a matter of trial and error, patience, and being in tune with your own body.

No comments:

Post a Comment